Saturday, June 22, 2019




5 Books I Enjoyed As A Child: That My Kids Enjoy Today

Hi everyone!  I hope you all are having a fun weekend.  Summer has officially started, though it feels like summer year round here in Hawaii.  I've been deep into reading for my book review blog Past Midnight: Book Reviews & More and I wanted to try some bookish topics for this blog as well.

So here's today's topic - 5 Books I Enjoyed As A Child (That My Kids Enjoy Today).  Now just to clarify, I did not grow up in a family that liked to read books.  My parents immigrated from the Philippines to the USA but grew up farming.  They went to school, but they didn't have the luxury of time to read for leisure.  They had to work on the farm as children.  

My love of reading grew in elementary school and the place I loved the most, the library.  I still remember the librarian reading to us at story time and losing myself in her story telling.  My husband grew up in a reading family so now we both read to our children every day/night.  My hubby and I both grew up in the 80's so our choices overlap as well, which is kinda neat.  😀


1. Where The Wild Things Are by. Maurice Sendak


Image via Amazon

Both my husband and I grew up with this book.  I was slightly afraid of this book as a child.  My husband got it for our son and it became a favorite of his.  I think my son relates to the boy Max being naughty and his mom scolding him.  🤣  Anyway, this is definitely a classic in our house.



2. The Cat In The Hat by. Dr. Seuss


Image via Amazon

We love all things Dr. Seuss in our house!  How can you not love his books?  I chose The Cat In The Hat to feature but anything Dr. Seuss is a hit in our house.  My son loves the tongue twisting language in the book with the strange words and names.  It makes it fun to read and we are just in awe with Dr. Seuss' imagination.  


3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by. Eric Carle


Image via Amazon


I couldn't put together this list without this book on it.  Both my kids had a book that was their first love.  THIS is the book they both loved - they loved it so much that the copy of the book we have is torn up or should we say, it is well loved.  It's the most adorable story with fantastic illustrations.  We love this book.


4. Tikki Tikki Tembo by. Arlene Mosel

Image via Amazon


This book stands out in my memory so well.  My first grade teacher read it to us after a field trip, before the last school bell rang to end our day.  I was tired, and it was a hot day and she read this book and I loved it.  I bought the book for my nephews when they were younger and then when I had my son, I read it to him when he was old enough and he loved it.  


5. Good Night Moon by. Margaret Wise Brown

Image via Amazon

I'll be honest - I don't remember this book as a child.  My husband does though and we read this to my son at night for awhile.  Then he got a bit older (he's 6 going on 7!) and he says the pictures are a bit creepy now.  😂  So I read it to my daughter to put her to sleep and it was her favorite for awhile.  She saw me creating this post, saw this photo and went searching for the book on her shelf.  I just read it to her....haha...and she tells me "I like this book!"  It's the perfect bedtime book.  It makes me sleepy as well!




Did you enjoy any of these books when you were a child?  What books did you enjoy as a child that your kids or nieces/nephews enjoy now?  Let me know in the comments below!


**As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost for you. Thanks!**




  



No comments:

Post a Comment